Pitt Street Pharmacy
When we opened our doors over 60 years ago, Pitt Street was Mount Pleasant's main shopping district. Everything anyone wanted was right here - the post office, the grocery store, the hardware store - even the town doctor, Otis Pickett. Pitt Street was the center of the old village; Pitt Street Pharmacy was the heart. People came here for their aspirin, Band-Aids, hair tonics, and body lotion; the latest fashion magazines, best selling paperbacks, or the newest superman comic book.
Washington "Wattie" Ziegler, RPh opened the Pharmacy in 1938 at 121 Pitt Street. In 1951, the Pharmacy was moved a few doors down to its present location. Dr. Ziegler died in 1982. He left the store to his wife, Della, Gene Whitley, RPh and Lavern James, RPh. Their commitment to the pharmacy lasted generations as Gene and Lavern worked here for 37 and 32 years respectively while Della continues to work here with over 50 years of service.
Throughout the years, scores of Mt. Pleasant children and teenagers have carved their name in the old black soda fountain counter, taking with them wonderful memories in return. There is plenty about the Pitt Street Pharmacy worth remembering. It's the kind of place where time seems to move at a slower pace, and people have time to be friendlier.
For villager's, it was simply part of daily life to stop at our soda fountain for ice cream, a malted milkshake or grilled cheese sandwich. We have probably filled a prescription for every man, woman and child who grew up in the village; if someone could not get here personally, we delivered to them and we still do.
Some things change with time, but Pitt Street Pharmacy has proven itself impervious to the changes of time. Our customer's still receive the same friendly trustworthy service. We still deliver, and our soda fountain is still the most popular place in town. Ask anyone around here and they will tell you. Pitt Street is still the center of the old village and Pitt Street Pharmacy is still the heart of it all.